With over 20 years experience in the area of family law, Bob has established himself as a highly-skilled litigator and an unwavering advocate for his clients.
Bob assists his clients in all areas of family law, particularly complex and high net-worth divorce cases, including property and business valuation, property division, spousal maintenance, parenting plans and custody arrangements, and pre- and post-nuptial agreements.
An aggressive and strong negotiator, Bob has successfully tried hundreds of cases. However, the nature of family law is such that most cases settle before ever going to trial. Bob advocates for his clients during mediation to achieve the best possible results, even in thorny and contentious divorce matters.
Bob began his legal career in Massachusetts in 1993, in the area of family and domestic relations and personal injury law. He moved back to Washington State in 1999 where he began his private practice as a family law practitioner and civil litigator with a Seattle-based firm, working there for ten years until joining Brewe Layman in 2009. When not practicing law, Bob is a sports enthusiast and enjoys cheering on all the Seattle-area teams, although he still has a soft spot for the Boston Red Sox. He lives in Edmonds with his wife and has three adult children.
- Successfully ensured that a business owner’s company remained his separate property, while considering reasonable compensation and contributions to the marital community.
- Utilized forensic accounting and discovery methods to uncover significant property the other party attempted to obscure, ensuring the client received a fair settlement.
- Successfully defended false accusations of domestic violence and substance abuse to maintain custody of two young children allowing them to remain with their primary parent.
- Uncovered significant off-the-books income to ensure that spousal and child support was reflective of the other spouse’s available income.
- Washington State Bar (1999)
- U.S. District Court of Western Washington (2002)
- Massachusetts Bar (1993)
- U.S. District Court of Massachusetts (1994);
- Certified Mediator, 2017 - Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law, 1992
- B.A., Suffolk University, 1989
- King County, Snohomish, Skagit County and WA State Bar;
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (2017)