Matt is an accomplished, well-seasoned attorney with 20 years of experience.
He has clerked for two Washington State Court of Appeals judges, litigated high-profile insurance defense cases for a major Seattle law firm, and served hundreds of clients both at the trial court and appellate levels as a family law practitioner. His practice areas include: Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support, Dissolutions involving High-Asset and Complex Financial Issues, Dissolution of Relationships between Unmarried Couples, LGBT Family Law cases, Relocation actions, and Appeals of all family-law related cases.
For Matt, helping clients navigate a divorce - one of the most traumatic events of their lives - is a source of personal and professional satisfaction. As a divorcee and the father of two children, Matt knows first-hand the apprehension and distress facing his clients, and he aims to help them get through the process in a compassionate manner.
When not practicing law, Matt can be found sharing a glass of wine or two with friends and family.
- Represented a tech company executive with extensive separate property claims, executive deferred compensation plans, various stock grants, and complex real estate valuation issues.
- Represented a small business owner in a case that involved valuation of real property and a closely-held business, as well as difficult parenting issues.
- Represented a mother through multiple successful appeals in a case about child custody under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) and Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
- Represented a father in a weeks-long trial that involved substantial financial issues, as well as a hotly contested and complex custody dispute.
- Represented a mother in a Relocation Act trial.
Admitted to Practice: Washington State Bar, 2001
J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2001
B.S., Biochemistry, Western Washington University, 1995
- In re Marriage of Long v. Borrello, 13 Wn. App. 2d 1035 (Div. I, April 27, 2020), 2020 WL 2026843
- In re Marriage of Knowles, 12 Wn. App. 2d 1023 (Div. II, February 19, 2020), 2020 WL 820977
- In re Marriage of Sinopole, 10 Wn. App. 2d 1001 (Div. II, August 20, 2019), 2019 WL 3937653
- Avvo.com 10.0 “Superb” rating
- Distinguished as Washing Rising Star by Super Lawyers - 2006, 2009
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- King County Bar Association
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- LGBTQ Section of WSBA
- Co-wrote the McGuire Law & Mediation portion of the 2015 LexisNexis Family Law Practice Handbook section on Spousal Maintenance
- Thomas M. Jones, Matthew D. Taylor, and David O. Stephens, Best Practices – Formulating a Records Retention Policy, FOR THE DEFENSE, 50 DRI No. 1, January 2008